Bringing the Excitement of the 2017 Solar Eclipse to the Public

Friday, February 17, 2017: 10:00 AM-11:30 AM
Room 304 (Hynes Convention Center)
A total solar eclipse provides an unparalleled experience to witness the wonders and clockwork of the universe. An eclipse leaves an indelible impact on anyone lucky enough to have witnessed one. The total solar eclipse of August 21, 2017, offers this rare opportunity, the first to pass over the United States from coast to coast in 99 years. The American Astronomical Society's Solar Eclipse 2017 Task Force and the International Astronomical Union's Working Group on Eclipses are organizing education and outreach efforts to explain -- to the general public, teachers, and preschool, K-12, and college students -- why it is worthwhile to travel into the 70-mile-wide band of totality. (A "99 percent eclipse" still leaves 1 percent of the sun's brightness unhidden, making it more than 1000 times brighter than it is in the band of totality and preventing observers from seeing the most exciting eclipse phenomena, including the diamond rings, the chromosphere, and the solar corona.) The panel will describe how to observe the eclipse safely and how to avoid overstating the hazards. Speakers will also discuss potential scientific studies, citizen science, and activities for students of all ages in connection with the eclipse.
Jay Pasachoff, Williams College
Angela Speck, University of Missouri
Michael Kentrianakis, American Astronomical Society 2017 Eclipse Task Force and Mario Motta, North Shore Cardiovascular Associates
Jay Pasachoff, Williams College
Science at Solar Eclipses
Charles Fulco, Independent Science Consultant
Using the Unique Eclipse Circumstances to Engage Students
Angela Speck, University of Missouri
Observing the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse
See more of: Physics and Astronomy
See more of: Scientific Sessions